Affordable Housing Action Plan
Affordable Housing Action Plan
First established in 2007, the ACT Government’s Affordable Housing Action Plan has been the key policy platform for addressing housing affordability across the full housing spectrum.
Since the announcement of the nation leading plan, the Government has accelerated the supply of land, introduced a requirement that at least 20% of all new estates include affordable housing, implemented programs to support affordable house and land packages, and introduced the innovative land rent scheme to reduce upfront costs for purchasers.
The Affordable Housing Action Plan has also tackled the problems of the provision of community and social housing, issues affecting homelessness, and ways to increase the supply of affordable accommodation for older Canberrans.
A New Affordable Housing Strategy
With the plan now in its 10th year, the ACT Government has invested considerable effort in both reviewing the effectiveness of objectives under the existing Affordable Housing Action Plan (AHAP) and canvassing new options around a new way forward to address affordable housing needs.
As a first step, an Affordable Housing Advisory Group has been established to provide an independent, external perspective of the challenges of housing affordability in the ACT and the possible responses that might be considered by the government.
The Group has provided some early guidance and advice to the Minister for Housing and Suburban Development on affordable housing and homelessness policy and, in particular, on possible actions which could be included in the new ACT Affordable Housing Strategy (the “Strategy”). The Group has been chosen for their independent external expertise and reflects the desire to engage initially with a broader and different group of interlocutors on this important community issue.
Members will also play an active role in ongoing wider community consultations in the lead up to the ACT Housing and Homelessness Summit (the “Summit”) planned for October 2017.
Members as at June 2017 are:
- Travis Gilbert – ACT Shelter
- Adina Cirson – ACT Property Council
- Christine Shaw – Luton Properties/ Consultant to MARSS
- Chris Redmond – Woden Community Services
- Meredith Edwards – University of Canberra
- Neil Skipper – Havelock Housing Association
- Alan Morschel – Australian Institute of Architects, ACT Chapter
ACT Government’s Affordable Housing Requirement - Indexation Method
The ACT Government’s requirement for the building industry to deliver affordable housing takes into account the constraints that impact on the industry’s ability to deliver affordable products to a particular standard. Full report below:
Affordable Housing Action Phase III
Phase III of the Affordable Housing Action Plan introduces a set of 14 new actions aimed at improving housing affordability in the ACT. The key objectives of the plan are to increase the amount of affordable rentals, improve utilisation of land in established suburbs and expand the mix of affordable properties for sale.
- Affordable Housing Action Plan - Phase III ( 599 KB) Word Version ( 409 KB)
- Media Release - 15 June 2012
New Affordable Housing Thresholds from 1 July 2016
A new affordable housing threshold system will be introduced from 1 July 2016. Under the new policy, there will be three separate thresholds based on the size of the property. The new system will maintain the requirement that 20 per cent of new homes within greenfield estates meet affordability thresholds.
The new affordable thresholds are;
- homes up to 80m² will be subject to a threshold of $296,000;
- homes between 81-105m² will be subject to a threshold of $348,000; and
- homes larger than 105m² will be subject to a threshold of $382,000.
The new affordability thresholds will take effect from 1 July 2016, but will not apply to any land already offered for sale.
- Select Action 8 on the contents page for more information: Introduce variable thresholds for affordable housing based on dwelling size.
- Affordable Housing Action Plan - Phase II ( 896KB) (This is an archived document that is not being updated and for reference only).
- AHAPl Phase II Strategic Summary
- Affordable Housing Action Plan - Final Progress Report Phases I & II - 2011
- Affordable Housing Action Plan - Progress Report Phase I - 2008 (681KB)
- Report of the Affordable Housing Steering Group (458KB)