How do I get my building files?

Homeowners, builders or other authorised representatives often need to access building files before they extend or renovate.

The owner of a block may apply to Access Canberra to access their building files. Alternatively, they may supply another individual (i.e. a builder) with a letter of consent to access the files.

How do I access documents from my building file?

  • By visiting Access Canberra’s Customer Service Centre at Mitchell with photographic ID and a letter of consent if you are not the owner and our staff will assist you with your enquiries.
  • By filling out the Building File Search Form () and sending it to

What does a building file search cost?

An application fee applies for all building file searches.

Copies of plans/documents vary in price depending on the size of the document.

Refer to the Fees and Charges booklet (712.4 KB) (accessible HTML version). 

More information

For more information visit us at:

Access Canberra Building Counter

8 Darling Street
Mitchell ACT 2911

Or phone: (02) 6207 1923.

The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. To provide feedback or request an accessible version of a document please contact us or phone 13 22 81.