There are two types of approvals for new development—development approval and building approval.
For some houses and projects you don’t need to lodge an application for development approval if certain requirements are met.
However, while your development may be exempt from needing development approval it may need building approval or approval from the Transport Canberra and City Services.
The requirements for exemptions vary according to the type of project. A complete list of developments that are exempt from development approval and the relevant criteria and requirements can be found in Schedule 1 of the Planning and Development Regulation 2008.
Below is a list of some kinds of development that may be exempt from needing development approval if they meet certain requirements. For more information, call the Customer Service Centre on phone: (02) 6207 1923.
- Home Business
- Aerials and antennas
- Single dwellings
- Carports, shade structures and pergolas
- Fences and freestanding walls
- Unroofed decks, patios and terraces
- External doors, walls and windows
- Garages, sheds, and gazebos
- Heating and cooling installation and solar PV installations
- Internal alterations
- Landscape gardening
- Letterboxes and barbeques
- Open space boundary fences
- Unroofed pergolas and arbors
- Pool fencing and barriers
- Rainwater tanks
- Refinishing external appearance
- Retaining walls
- Satellite dishes
- Second building in clearance area
- Swimming pools