Each year the ACT Government prepares a four-year Indicative Land Release Program (the Program) to accompany the Territory Budget. The Program sets out the Government’s intended land releases of residential, mixed use, commercial, industrial, and community and non-urban land.
The Program enables Government to deliver our strategic planning directions for building a sustainable, compact and well connected city, promote housing choice and affordability, and attract international investment.
The Environment Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate is responsible for preparing the Program in consultation with other ACT Government Directorates. The Suburban Land Agency and City Renewal Authority deliver the programmed land releases.
Objectives of the Indicative Land Release Program
Land release contributes to the financial, social and environmental objectives of the Territory by:
- Promoting housing diversity and delivering affordable housing choices;
- Stimulating urban renewal and activating key gateways to the city and commercial centres;
- Maintaining an appropriate inventory of land in the planning, land development and building pipelines;
- Meeting the demand for land in the Territory across all sectors and attracting investment to diversify the Territory’s economy;
- Assisting the operation of a competitive land development and construction industry; and
- Achieving satisfactory revenue returns to Government from the sale of unleased Territory land and surplus property assets.
Indicative Land Release Program
The Indicative Land Release Program for 2018-19 to 2021-22 was released on 5 June 2018 (along with the ACT Government’s Annual Budget). The links below provide an overview of the Program as well as maps showing land releases in each district by year.
The links below provide an overview of the current Program as well as individual district maps by year.
- ACT Indicative Land Release Program 2018–19 to 2021–22 (1.4MB) | (HTML)
- View Actmapi map
- 2018-19 Indicative Land Release Program Map (16.1MB)
- 2019-20 Indicative Land Release Program Map (10.7MB)
- 2020-21 Indicative Land Release Program Map (15.3MB)
- 2021-22 Indicative Land Release Program Map (12.5MB)
ACT Land and Property Report
The ACT Land and Property Reports provide analysis of land and property indicators in the ACT. The reports aim to provide insight on issues in the Canberra land and property market where the ACT Government has particular knowledge or interest.