Building approval

Building approval (also known as a BA) may be required if you are building, altering, adding to, or demolishing a building. If your project requires a development approval, a building approval can’t be issued until you have the development approval. If your building project requires building approval, it must be obtained before any building work begins.

The purpose of a building approval is to check your proposed building work:

Get building approval

To obtain building approval, you will need to:

  1. Appoint a licensed building surveyor as your certifier.
  2. Complete and lodge the required forms.
  3. Pay the relevant fees.

You will need to give your certifier plans that meet the relevant codes and design guidelines.

Commencement of building work

Before construction work begins, your licensed builder, or you as a licensed owner–builder, need to apply to the building certifier for a commencement notice. You or your appointed agent need to sign the commencement notice application form before the builder can apply.

Building work can start once your certifier has issued the commencement notice, provided that all other necessary approvals and requirements are in place.

Other approvals

Find out what other approvals you may need.

Conditions of building

You and the people you employ need to be mindful of:

Conditions govern what you can build or do with your land, for example, for certain residential leases in new suburbs, construction must start within 12 months from the date of development approval and must be completed within 24 months.

More information

Design and building practitioners can help you prepare plans and seek approvals.

Contact us for more information.