If you are planning a knock–down–rebuild, buying a kit home or renovating, you need to know some details about your block. Before you begin preparing plans, find out about:
- Development controls and Territory Plan zones – particular planning controls apply to pieces of land. Use ACTMAPi to find your block, its zone and what types of development are allowed on the block.
- Utility assets – as the property owner you have to make sure utility network providers have enough space to bring in equipment and repair network infrastructure and mains. If you build over or too close to their assets, you are liable to remove the obstruction or pay for the mains to be moved, which can cost thousands of dollars. Contact Icon Water for water and sewerage utilities and Evo Energy for electricity and gas utility infrastructure on or near your property.
- Conditions – search if there are any lease and development conditions on your block.
- Heritage – check for any heritage considerations on the ACT Heritage Register.
- Plumbing ties – you’ll need to know where your pipes tie into the main system. You can do a plumbing tie search.
- Sanitary pipes – for renovations and extensions, you’ll need sanitary drainage plans for your block. You can purchase these by completing a Sanitary drainage plans: residential form. The plan image will be emailed to you within 48 hours of the application and payment being received.
Now it’s time to find out if you need to get approval.
Find out more about:
Contact us for more information.