Construction practitioners in the ACT must be familiar with:
- product safety alerts
- legislation and requirements relevant to their work
- how the industry in the ACT is regulated
- work health and safety obligations via the construction safety portal
- correct use of building products and appliances
- apprentice and trainee supervision guidelines
- construction industry safety videos, alerts and newsletters, as well as industry-specific notes and checklists.
You can also find out about:
- Hoarding signage guidelines
- Australian Tax Office guide for small businesses
- security of payments
- regulatory fees
- licensing fees
- industry associations
There are certain training requirements relevant to your construction licence.
For a Class A, B or C builder licence, you will be need to sit a written examination.
The construction safety portal covers:
- work health and safety
- construction site safety and supervision
- asbestos and dangerous substances
- incident reporting.
National Construction Code updates
The ACT Government announced that, following further industry consultation, the majority of the 2019 National Construction Code (Building Code of Australia and Plumbing Code of Australia; NCC) will now be adopted on 1 June 2019 instead of 1 September 2019. New provisions for fire sprinklers in class 2-3 buildings, and condensation management will continue to be adopted from 1 September.
For provisions adopted on 1 June, there will be a transition until 1 September, where people can demonstrate compliance with either the 2016 or 2019 version of the standards.
Approvals issued from 1 September 2019 can be assessed against the 2019 NCC only.
Final ACT Appendices released
The final ACT Appendices for the NCC have been released.
The appendices include all ACT-specific variations for the 2019 NCC. They include provisions included in previous ACT Appendices as well as new provisions for energy efficiency (Building Code, Volume 1, Section J), water heaters in class 1 buildings and tagging isolation valves in domestic fire sprinkler systems (Plumbing Code).
Further information is available in the Advisory Note (PDF 274KB).
Contact us for more information.