June 2019 snapshot
Over the three months to June 2019 Access Canberra undertook 157 inspections across all types of building. This included monitoring visits specific to issues relating to planning laws.
We received 17 enquiries about building quality, including issues relating to:
- structural compliance
- building defects, and
- site preparation and excavation.
6 of these enquiries were substantiated issues under building and planning laws.
We closed 162 cases regarding building and planning laws through effective case management.
We took strong regulatory action to support safety and hold industry to account
- 44 demerit points issued across 20 construction occupations licensees
- 5 notices of intention to issue a Rectification Order
- 6 Stop Work notices
- 1 notice direction building work to be undertaken
As at 30 June 2019, we had:
- 117 ongoing cases that include both building and planning matters.
- Of these, three cases are before ACT and one is before court.
26 of the ongoing cases are about building quality and the common categories are:
- water ingress from structural issues
- non-compliance with the National Construction Code
- excavations and site preparation
From 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019, Access Canberra
- 589 proactive and reactive inspections across all types of buildings
- 112 cases received regarding building and construction
- During this period 263 cases regarding building and construction were closed
Regulatory action taken from 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019
- 197 demerit points issued across 50 construction occupation licensees
- 3 Rectification orders
- 11 notice of intention to issue a Rectification order, including where a Rectification order was subsequently issued
- 38 Stop Work notices
- 10 notices directing building work to be undertaken
Download the June 2019 snapshot (PDF 197KB).