Use this spreadsheet to calculate the water consumption of single residential dwellings with and without water saving features.
Information you will need
To use the spreadsheet calculator, you will need to know:
- the number of bedrooms
- the water rating for shower head, dishwasher, toilet and clothes washer
- the site area
- total roof area
- all rainwater tank information
- all grey water system information
- any swimming pool, spa or pond information.
Insert these details into the light green cells.
Calculating water ratings
Tap and shower water ratings can be measured by using a stop watch and a bucket:
- Turn on the tap/shower to full and measure the volume of water used in 15 seconds
- Multiply by 4 to get the water consumption for a minute (L/min)
- Compare this water consumption with the Star rating table located on the indoor tab in the water reduction calculator
Most modern appliances have a water consumption rating.
|Star rating||Water saving|
|1 star||Little or no water saving features|
|2 star||Minimal water saving features|
|3 star||Moderate water saving features, now the minimum standard of water saving required in the ACT for fittings|
|4 star||Good water saving features|
|5 star||High water saving features|
Find out about:
Contact us for more information.