The project involves the construction and operation of an integrated resource recovery facility, located on Blocks 8 and 12, Section 28 Fyshwick.
The proposal is for a multi-operational waste management hub that will receive, process and store a number of materials and types of waste. It is estimated that approximately 1.1 million tonnes of materials will be transported to the facility per annum.
The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) has been prepared by Golder Associates Pty Ltd on behalf of Hi Quality Act Pty Ltd.
The EIS details the anticipated environmental impacts of a development, as well as proposing avoidance and mitigation measures. A proponent prepares an EIS to enable decision makers to understand the environmental consequences of a proposed development. The EIS is required to address matters raised in the scoping document for the proposal. An EIS is an information gathering exercise, it is not an approval process. If the EIS process is completed, approval can be sought through a subsequent development application process. More information on the EIS process can be found on the EIS overview page.
A draft EIS has now been lodged for this project. The application number for this draft EIS is EIS201900001. The draft EIS is now open for comments until 17 September 2020.
In accordance with section 218 of the Planning and Development Act 2007, the public consultation period for a draft EIS is a minimum 20 working days. Due to the volume of documentation the public consultation period for the Integrated Resource Recovery Facility draft EIS is 45 working days, commencing on 16 July 2020 and closing on 17 September 2020. Within this period, the public can view the application and provide written comments (a representation) on the proposal.
Any matters raised in representations made during the public consultation period must be addressed by the proponent in revising their EIS for final assessment by the planning and land authority. Representations received after public consultation closes may be supplied to the proponent for their information if they wish to consider them.
Representations should be addressed to the Chief Planning Executive and made in one of the following ways:
- Electronically using the Public Submission Smartform;
- Email to EPDCustomerServices@act.gov.au;
- Mail to:
- Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate Customer Service,
- GPO Box 158, Canberra, ACT, 2601; or
- hand to the Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate’s Customer Service Centre at 480 Northbourne Ave, Dickson.
Please note: the Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate are moving to a new office building (480 Northbourne Ave, Dickson) during the months of July and August. Due to this, electronic or mailed submissions are encouraged; however, if you wish to hand deliver a submission, please contact EPDImpact@act.gov.au to identify the most appropriate location.
Representations should include the name and contact details of the person making the comments and the draft EIS application reference number (EIS201900001).
Publication of representations
Under section 220 (2) Planning and Development Act 2007, the planning and land authority must—
(a) make a copy of the representation available on the authority website
(b) give a copy of the representation to the proponent of the development proposal as soon as practicable after the public consultation period for the draft EIS ends.
In complying with the obligation under section 220(2), the authority discloses the representations, which may include personal information on its website and to the proponent. You may request to have part or all of your representation excluded from the public register under Sections 411 (Restrictions on public availability – application, comments, submissions, etc) or 412 (Restrictions on public availability – security) of the Planning and Development Act 2007.
The request for exclusion must be in writing and clearly identify what you are seeking to exclude and how the request satisfies the exclusion criteria. The Authority may approve or refuse to approve an exclusion application.
If your request for exclusion is approved the Authority will seek to protect the information from disclosure. However, the Authority cannot guarantee that the information will not have to be disclosed pursuant to a legal obligation.
Disclaimer: As detailed above, section 220 of the Planning and Development Act 2007 requires the Planning and Land Authority to publish representations. The authority is not able to verify the truth of any facts alleged in any representation and publication of a representation does not indicate acceptance of the opinions expressed by the author of any representation.
Application and supporting documents
The scoping document for this draft EIS is available on the ACT Legislation Register.
Draft EIS and supporting documentation
- 1.-Draft-EIS-Report-Integrated-Resource-Recovery-Facility-Fyshwick-EIS-201900001.pdf (9.1 MB)
- Appendix-A-Scoping-document-EIS-201900001.pdf (9.2 MB)
- Appendix-B-Scoping-Document-Reference-EIS-201900001.pdf (103.0 KB)
- Appendix-C-Environmental-History-EIS-201900001.pdf (433.7 KB)
- Appendix-D-Study-Team-EIS-201900001.pdf (122.3 KB)
- Appendix-E-Transport-Impact-Assessment-EIS-201900001.pdf (15.0 MB)
- Appendix-F-Site-Servicing-Investigation-Report-EIS-201900001.pdf (2.9 MB)
- Appendix-G-Phase-1-Contamination-Assessment-EIS-201900001.pdf (26.7 MB)
- Appendix-Ha-Phase-2-Environmental-Site-Assessment-Contamination-Text-Only-EIS-201900001.pdf (795.5 KB)
- Appendix-Hb-Phase-2-Environmental-Site-Assessment-Contamination-Appendix-A-D-EIS-201900001.pdf (11.3 MB)
- Appendix-Hb-Phase-2-Environmental-Site-Assessment-Contamination-Appendix-E-H-EIS-201900001.pdf (17.4 MB)
- Appendix-Hb-Phase-2-Environmental-Site-Assessment-Contamination-Appendix-I-L-EIS-201900001.pdf (10.5 MB)
- Appendix-Hb-Phase-2-Environmental-Site-Assessment-Contamination-Appendix-M-P-EIS-201900001.pdf (1.2 MB)
- Appendix-Hb-Phase-2-Environmental-Site-Assessment-Contamination-Figures-and-Tables-EIS-201900001.pdf (7.1 MB)
- Appendix-I-Site-Audit-Report-EIS-201900001.pdf (4.3 MB)
- Appendix-J-Storm-Assessment-EIS-201900001.pdf (1.3 MB)
- Appendix-K-Air-Quality-Assessment-EIS-201900001.pdf (6.5 MB)
- Appendix-L-Health-Impact-Assessment-HIA-EIS-201900001.pdf (1.6 MB)
- Appendix-M-Noise-and-Vibration-Assessment-EIS-201900001.pdf (1.9 MB)
- Appendix-N-Bushfire-Risk-Assessment-and-Management-Plan-EIS-201900001.pdf (10.5 MB)
- Appendix-O-Ecological-Assessment-Report-EIS-201900001.pdf (1.4 MB)
- Appendix-P-Public-Consultation-Material-EIS-201900001.pdf (1.6 MB)
- Appendix-Q-Architectural-drawings-EIS-201900001.pdf (5.5 MB)
As highlighted above, in complying with the obligation under section 220(2), the authority will disclose public representations here as they are received.