The DA gateway team

The DA Gateway Team is the first point of contact for all enquiries relating to ACT planning matters and the development application process. The team also manages pre-application meetings, completeness checks for development applications (DAs), and exemption declaration applications.

The team aims to provide consistent, quality and timely advice to the community, developments and government with a focus on business improvement and innovation.

What we can do

The DA Gateway Team can provide advice on:

  • planning rules in the ACT, including zoning
  • planning codes that may apply to a development or a block of land
  • whether development approval may be required
  • the development application process including documentation requirements.
  • Before contacting the DA Gateway Team, we encourage you to check our website for an answer to your question.

    You can contact the DA Gateway Team:

  • by phone at (02) 6205 2888
  • online by submitting an enquiry
  • in person at 16 Challis Street Dickson, between 8:30 am-4:30 pm on business days.
  • Please note that all information provided by the DA Gateway Team is general advice only. It is important to undertake your own research and ensure you have a good understanding of planning requirements. If you wish to receive advice you can rely on for legal purposes, you can consider contacting a professional or you can contact the Gateway Team about your options.

    What we can’t do

    The DA Gateway Team cannot help with some enquiries, such as questions about building approvals, complaints about noise and non-compliance with legislation or disputes between neighbours about fencing. For help with these enquiries, please contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.

    Other common contacts

    Customer services

    If you wish to schedule a pre-application meeting, learn how to submit a development application online or have a question about eDevelopment, please contact Customer Services on 6207 1923 or at

    EIS or estate developments

    If you have a question about the processes for environmental impact assessments or estate development plans please email

    Building approvals

    In the ACT, building approval is granted by an independent building certifier. We encourage you to discuss matters relating to building approval with your certifier. For questions about internal renovations or building code regulations please call the Building Registrations Team on (02) 6207 6266 or email

    Access Canberra

    General enquiries related to ACT Government matters can be directed to Access Canberra on 13 22 81 or visit

    Building and construction complaints

    Construction and building related complaints can be lodged by:

    Phone: 02 6207 1923 - ask to speak to the investigations team
    Online: Controlled Activity or Construction Occupations Complaint form (this form can be used if can be used if you believe that someone is undertaking building works without relevant approvals)


    For advice relating to your Crown lease or a lease variation development applications please email

    For general leasing advice or advice around unit titling please email


    If you require advice relating to heritage listed areas please email

    Noise and contamination

    For enquiries related to noise or site contamination please email


    If you plan to damage any trees during construction or need advice on trees, please email

    Fence complaints

    If you disagree with your neighbour about your common boundary fence, you can seek advice from the Common Boundaries Act 1981 or call the Conflict Resolution Service on (02) 6162 4050 or the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal on (02) 6207 1740.

    If your fence shares a boundary with Territory Land (such as parks, reserves or footpaths), please contact Transport Canberra and City Services on 02 6207 0019.

    Transport Canberra and City Services

    Any work on unleased land requires approval from Transport Canberra and City Services.

    If you have a development application question for Transport Canberra and City Services, or a question about Design or Operational Acceptance for your development, please contact TCCS at

    For general enquiries relating to Transport Canberra and City Services, including for verge crossing and driveways, you can contact TCCS at (02) 6207 0019.

    If you have an enquiry about outdoor dining you can contact TCCS at 6207 0400.

    Designated land

    Designated land is managed by the National Capital Authority. For works on designated land, you need to contact the National Capital Authority on (02) 6271 2888.

    Fix my street, including noise complaints

    Fix My Street is an online reporting facility which provides direct contact with ACT Government agencies for the reporting and resolution of municipal service requests, including noise complaints. You can access this through the Access Canberra website at

    The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. To provide feedback or request an accessible version of a document please contact us or phone 13 22 81.