Canberrans urged to reduce electricity use
Extreme hot weather conditions have resulted in high electricity demand predicted across NSW tomorrow, Friday 18 January 2019. This could result in minor supply shortfalls in the ACT.
All Canberrans are urged reduce electricity use, while still ensuring they remain cool for their own safety and comfort.
Simple steps at home and at work to reduce electricity use can help take pressure off the electricity grid. Tips include:
- turn off unnecessary lighting
- restrict use of air conditioning (set temperature to 26oC or higher)
- minimise use of cooking equipment
- if you work with more than one computer screen, consider turning one off for the day
- consolidate refrigeration and turn off unnecessary fridges
- turn off water heating systems and urns
- turn off appliances usually left in standby mode – including TVs, DVDs, videos, stereos, computers, microwave ovens, battery chargers and portable power supplies
- avoid use of dishwashers, clothes dryers, vacuum cleaners & second TV.