Each year the ACT Government prepares a four-year Indicative Land Release Program (the Program) to accompany the Territory Budget. The Program sets out the Government’s intended land releases of residential, mixed use, commercial, industrial, and community and non-urban land.
The Program plays a strategic role in catering for our population growth, building a compact, liveable city, attracting investment in the ACT land market and strengthening our economic advantage in the ACT region.
The Environment Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate is responsible for preparing the Program in consultation with other ACT Government Directorates. The Suburban Land Agency and City Renewal Authority deliver the programmed land releases.
Objectives of the Indicative Land Release Program
Land release contributes to the financial, social and environmental objectives of the Territory by:
- Delivering affordable housing choices and promoting housing diversity; Stimulating urban renewal where it is appropriate and sustainable and contributing to delivering up to 70% of new housing within our existing urban footprint;
- Balancing a stable supply of land against forecast demand and maintaining an appropriate inventory;
- Meeting the demand for land in the Territory across all sectors and attracting investment into Canberra;
- Supporting a sustainable and competitive land development and construction industry which creates good jobs for Canberrans; and
- Achieving satisfactory revenue returns to Government from the sale of unleased Territory land and surplus property assets.
Indicative Land Release Program
The Indicative Land Release Program for 2019-20 to 2022-23 was released on 4 June 2019 (along with the ACT Government’s Annual Budget). The links below provide an overview of the Program as well as maps showing land releases in each district by year.
The links below provide an overview of the current Program as well as individual district maps by year.
- ACT Indicative Land Release Program 2019–20 to 2022–23 (PDF 5MB) | (HTML)
- ACT Indicative Land Release Program 2019–20 to 2022–23 - Land Release Maps (PDF 3MB)
- View Actmapi map
ACT Land and Property Report
The ACT Land and Property Reports provide analysis of land and property indicators in the ACT. The reports aim to provide insight on issues in the Canberra land and property market where the ACT Government has particular knowledge or interest.
- ACT Land and Property Report - December 2018 (PDF 4MB)
- ACT Land and Property Report - December 2017 (PDF 2MB)
- ACT Land and Property Report – September 2017 (PDF 10MB)
- ACT Land and Property Report – June 2017 (PDF 2MB)
- ACT Land and Property Report – January 2017 (PDF 2MB)
- ACT Land and Property Report – October 2016 (PDF 574KB)