Block 25 Section 31 O’Malley (formally Blocks 23 and 24 Section 31 O’Malley) is zoned to provide for community uses as CFZ: Community Facility Zone. The undeveloped site includes a stand of trees and surface carpark with 17 spaces.
To accommodate the growing need for community facilities for residents in O’Malley and surrounding suburbs, the site was identified for future sale on the Indicative Land Release Program 2017/18-2020/21. Site investigations commenced in 2017 to prepare the site for sale, including a traffic and parking assessment.
Following feedback from the community, the ACT Government removed the site from the land release program pending further investigation into issues raised by the community. It was also decided that a further transport (traffic and parking) assessment was required to respond to community concern and determine the appropriate type and level of community facility development for the site.
The outcomes of this further transport impact assessment were presented to the Woden Valley Community Council in July 2019. See the presentation (PowerPoint, 21MB). The transport impact assessment has been finalised and includes comments and feedback received from the community. See the final transport impact assessment.
While the ACT Government has no immediate intention to release the site for sale and development, the appropriate future use of the site does need to be considered.
The ACT Government is currently undertaking a review of the ACT planning system. This is a wide-ranging review that will deliver amendments to the Planning and Development Act 2007 and extensive revisions to the Territory Plan. Part of this review will include working at a district level to define character and to identify specific geographic, demographic and built form characteristics that differentiate each district.
The future of Block 25 Section 31 O’Malley will be considered as part of the district-level planning process. This will help the ACT Government assess and recommend an appropriate future use for this site along with other selected sites within the Woden Valley district. The preference of the O’Malley residents for the site to be retained as open space and a car park will be considered as part of this process. The community and industry will be engaged on a range of topics including district-level planning throughout the ACT Planning Review.
Community engagement updates
- 3 July 2019 – Presentation at Woden Valley Community Council public meeting
- 7 February 2018 - Presentation at the Woden Valley Community Council public meeting
- 18 December 2017 - Information session
- 28 August 2019 - Project update email
- 9 July 2019 - Project update email
- 14 June 2019 - Project update email
- 6 September 2018 - Letter to ORAG - parking and traffic study - Block 25 Section 31 O'Malley (HTML)
- 6 September 2018 - Letter to ORAG - parking and traffic study - Block 25 Section 31 O'Malley
- 25 January 2018 – Project update email
- 8 January 2018 – Project update email
- 5 January 2018 – Project update email
- 20 December 2017 – Project update email
- 12 December 2017 – Invitation to information session
- 13 November 2017 – Project update email
- 6 November 2017 - Letter to surrounding residents notifying of project and how to stay informed
- 18 September 2017 - Letter to immediate residents notifying of on-site investigations and contact details
How can I stay informed?
To receive project updates on this site please email firstname.lastname@example.org.