Calwell Group Centre Master Plan
The ACT Government endorsed the Calwell Group Centre Master Plan in September 2016. The plan was developed in consultation with the Calwell community and local traders.
The Calwell Group Centre Master Plan outlines the vision, planning principles and strategies to guide growth and development in the centre. The master plan identifies what is important about the centre and surrounding areas.Calwell master plan recommends how to strengthen the Calwell centre as a vital community hub, provide opportunities for living close to shops and services, enhance its public spaces and improve parking and connections for pedestrians and cyclists.
The master plan sets out a number of recommendations that will support the centre's long-term growth and development by:
- providing new opportunities to better establish the centre as a community and social hub
- improving the connections within the centre and to local destinations to improve the pedestrian and cycling experience and encourage active travel
- improving safety in the centre by improving lighting and encouraging active uses close to public spaces for surveillance
- providing opportunities to integrate residences into the centre while minimising overshadowing of public spaces
- improving the living (green) infrastructure of the centre by planning for large shade trees and landscaping to offset the potential urban heat island effect
- managing parking by retaining short-term parking near the centre and long-term parking at the periphery and keeping accessible car spaces close to shops and services.
Stage 1 community engagement
Community engagement (23 May to 3 July 2015) informed the community, private business and key community groups about the master planning project, gained vital feedback as to what needed to be addressed in and around the centre and outlined the process and timeframes needed to address them. Discussion, workshops and feedback were based on a series of information posters.
Stage 2 community engagement
The Calwell Group Centre Draft Master Plan received broad community and business support (3 March to 10 April 2016). Feedback was gathered through a range of activities including information displays, two 'meet the planner sessions', a school workshop, meetings with community and government stakeholders, and 22 formal submissions. This provided valuable feedback about the draft master plan and the community's aspirations for the centre and helped to shape the final master plan.
- Calwell Group Centre Draft Master Plan
- Calwell Group Centre Draft Master Plan display posters
- Stage 2 Calwell Group Centre Master Plan Community Engagement Report and Appendix
- Calwell Transport, Movement and Car Parking Study
- Calwell Transport, Movement and Car Parking Study - Explanatory note
Implementation of the master plan will be through:
- a Territory Plan variation, including a revised Calwell Precinct Code
- capital works to be considered in context of future budgets
- uptake of opportunities by private developers and the community.
The master plan will inform changes to the Territory Plan, including the Calwell Precinct Code. This may increase redevelopment opportunities for sites within the town centre, with possibilities for additional construction. Any changes to the Territory Plan will have a community engagement process. Implementation of development set out in the master plan will be progressive over the longer term as implementation is dependent on capital works funding from the ACT Government, investment decisions by private business and land availability.
The community will be notified separately about the draft variation public consultation time frames and submission processes.Implementation of development set out in the master plan will be progressive over the longer term as implementation is dependent on capital works funding from the ACT Government, investment decisions by private business and land availability.
Phone: Access Canberra on 13 22 81 (and ask for EPDD's Calwell master plan team).