The Belconnen Town Centre Master Plan defines what is important about the centre and will guide growth and development over the next 10 to 15 years. The master plan identifies land use, economic, social and environmental opportunities and challenges. It investigates opportunities for additional residential development and urban renewal.
The master plan recommends ways to:
- reinforce the town centre’s role as a major community and commercial hub for the Belconnen District and wider Canberra region
- stimulate urban renewal in the town centre through changes to the Territory Plan
- enable active and attractive destination areas that better utilise the centre’s lakeside location
- identify opportunities for improvements the centre’s public spaces
- improve access and amenity in the town centre through recommended improvements to the cycle and pedestrian networks, and
- improve the town centre’s relationship and connectivity with the University of Canberra.
The master plan is based on expert planning studies, community feedback and industry input. The local community, Belconnen Community Council and business community helped set the vision for the area and provided essential input into this master plan.
The ACT Government's Planning Strategy recommended a review of the 2001 Belconnen Master Plan to help create a more compact and efficient city.
Stage 1 community consultation
Community engagement (3 November 2014 to 30 January 2015) for the Belconnen Town Centre Master Plan began by informing the community, industry and representative groups about the master planning project, gaining feedback on what needed to be addressed in the town centre and outlining the process and timeframes.
Stage 2 community consultation
Suggestions and concerns identified during the stage one of engagement (26 September 2015 to 20 November 2015) informed the development of the Belconnen Town Centre Draft Master Plan. During the consultation, information was made available online, via poster displays at the shopping centre and the library, and at several ‘meet the planners’ sessions. Planners also met with stakeholder groups.
- Draft Belconnen Town Centre master plan
- Draft Belconnen Town Centre Engagement display posters
- Stage 2 Draft Belconnen Town Centre Community engagement report
Implementation of the master plan will be through:
- a Territory Plan variation, including a revised Belconnen Precinct Code
- capital works to be considered in context of future budgets
- uptake of opportunities by private developers and the community.
The master plan will inform changes to the Territory Plan, including the Belconnen Precinct Code. This may increase redevelopment opportunities for sites within the town centre, with possibilities for additional construction. Any changes to the Territory Plan will have a community engagement process.
Implementation of development set out in the master plan will be progressive over the longer term as implementation is dependent on capital works funding from the ACT Government, investment decisions by private business and land availability.
The community will be notified separately about the draft variation public consultation time frames and submission processes. Implementation of development set out in the master plan will be progressive over the longer term as implementation is dependent on capital works funding from the ACT Government, investment decisions by private business and land availability.
Phone: Access Canberra on 13 22 81 (and ask for the master plan team in EPSD)