Aerial imagery is available online at ACTmapi.
Aerial photographs pre-2006 are available on request by from the plan room at the Dickson Customer Service Centre (email email@example.com). Costs are set out in the fees and charges booklet.
Type of photography available
A comprehensive collection of colour aerial photography captured over the past 40 years and a limited black and white coverage dating back to the early 1950s is available. Much of the colour photography has been acquired since 1972 during Canberra's accelerated development. Some black-and-white photography exists dating back to the 1950s. As well, oblique photography of selected sites around Canberra is available. Aerial photography products are available as colour or black and white contact prints, full-frame of part-frame enlargements and transparencies.
The collection consists of:
- High Level - vertical colour photography at a scale of 1:52,000 and flown so that prints in each run overlap to provide stereoscopic coverage. Adjacent runs also overlap. Coverage generally extends from Lake George to Bredbo and from Wee Jasper to Bungendore.
- Development Record - vertical colour photography at a scale of 1:10,000 and flown so that prints in each run overlap to provide stereoscopic coverage. Adjacent runs also overlap. Coverage generally extends from north of the ACT border to Tharwa, and from the Murrumbidgee River in the west to Sutton Road in the east and includes Queanbeyan. In some years, coverage was extended past this. The last such photography acquired was in 1997. After this time various sets of photography were acquired for orthophotomapping projects viz, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2006 and 2009. Individual frames from these sets are available.
- Obliques - photography captured with the camera aimed at an angle to the vertical, generally showing the horizon. Coverage is over developing areas and sites of special interest, is not stereoscopic and considerable scale variation exists within one exposure.
Additionally, vertical photographs over each town centre and various small project runs of special interest are available.
We have versions of colour aerial photography that have been processed to create digital orthophoto maps and digital elevation models. These maps and models are true scale, distortion free and geo-referenced to the ACT local grid and are compatible with all other ACT data sets:
- flown in 1998 over an area extending from the north of the ACT to Tharwa, and from Cotter Reserve to Sutton Road, covering the developed and developing areas of Canberra. This data is available at 0.5m and 0.25m resolution in "tiles" corresponding to the 1:2,500 map series breakup; and
- flown in 2001 over the entire ACT and surrounding areas of NSW. This data is available at 1m resolution in 10 km by 10 km.
Digital aerial imagery from 2004 is available on ACTmapi:
2016 Aerial imagery– Captured between 26th March 2016 and the 1st April 2016. Orthorectified imagery was captured over the Northern section of the ACT with a Ground Sample Distance (GSD) of 0.1m and referenced to MGA Zone 55 Grid. CC BY 4.0 © Australian Capital Territory.
2015 Aerial imagery- Captured between 23 May 2015 and 26 May 2015. The dataset covers the entire ACT with a 20cm pixel resolution. CC BY 4.0 © Australian Capital Territory.
2014 Aerial imagery - Captured between 21 February 2014 and 14 April 2014. Reference Systems are Horizontal Datum: GDA94, Projection: MGA Zone 55 and Vertical Datum: AHD, Geoid Model: Ausgeoid09. © Jacobs Group (Australia) Pty Ltd.
2012 Aerial Photography - Captured between 25th February 2012 and 5th May 2012. Aerial imagery was captured from a fixed wind aircraft using an A3 camera. Imagery has a ground sample distance (GSD) of 0.1m and has been referenced to GDA94 MGA zone 55. Reference Systems are Horizontal Datum: GDA94, Projection: MGA Zone 55 and Vertical Datum: AHD, Geoid Model: Ausgeoid09. © AAM Pty Limited.
2009 Aerial Photography - Captured in March 2009. © AAMHatch.
2004 Aerial Photography - Captured May 2004. © Jacobs Group (Australia) Pty Ltd