The Oaks Estate Master Plan defines what is important about Oaks Estate and identifies opportunities for moderate growth while maintaining the area’s existing history and character.
Consultation is an important part of the master plan process. People who live or work in or near Oaks Estate, or who use the area, have valuable knowledge that can help the government develop a successful, workable master plan. The Oaks Estate community has helped set the vision for the area and provided essential input into the finalisation of this master plan.
The Oaks Estate Master Plan aims to improve traffic movement and the public domain, and harmonise land uses to maintain the existing village character. The master plan proposes strategies that allow for:
- acknowledging Oaks Estate as a semi-rural village and protecting its unique character
- new opportunities for sustainable, mixed-use development to revitalise the village
- recommending improvements in traffic management for safety and amenity
- connecting pedestrian and cycling paths to the Queanbeyan and ACT shared path system
- recommending improving the recreational and environmental value of the Molonglo river corridor with an historic river walk and stormwater management, and
- providing flexibility for the redevelopment of existing public housing sites.
Draft Variation 328 was prepared to implement the recommendations of the master plan, and released to the public for consultation in 2015.
Following this initial public consultation, the draft variation was put on hold while the heritage nomination status of the suburb was being considered by the ACT Heritage Council and the contamination studies requested by the Environment Protection Authority were undertaken. In April 2017, the ACT Heritage Council resolved not to register the nominated sites, determining that the suburb was not historically or architecturally significant enough to meet the criteria for listing. This decision and a detailed Statement of Reasons is contained in Notifiable Instrument NI2017-173 accessible on the ACT Legislation Register.
A revised draft variation 328 is being prepared that incorporates the recommendations of the endorsed Oaks Estate Master Plan as well as proposing changes to respond to concerns raised during the previous public consultation undertaken on the draft variation. The draft variation will propose amendments to the Oaks Estate Precinct Map and Code to provide opportunities for limited growth and change in the suburb and to preserve the history and character of Oaks Estate.
The draft variation will be released for further public consultation once the contamination studies have been finalised and endorsed by the ACT Environment Protection Authority.