The ACT Government has released the Kingston Group Centre Master Plan. The master plan has been developed with extensive community consultation. Full details of consultation and the consultation outcomes are available in the Kingston Group Centre consultation report.
Why plan for the Kingston Group Centre?
The Kingston Group Centre is one of the oldest centres in Canberra. It has established its own unique and valued character but the buildings and infrastructure are ageing. It is anticipated that some areas could be redeveloped in the next few years.
The role of Kingston has also changed in response to population growth and changing demographics and lifestyles. The renewal of Kingston Foreshore and the proposed renewal of East Lake will create a need for additional services and facilities. The Kingston Group Centre Planning Project was initiated to ensure the Kingston Group Centre is able to respond to these changes.
The report looked at a variety of possible supermarket sites within the centre and nearby surrounding areas. It recommends releasing Blocks 47 and 48 Section 19 (the public car park and co-operative shop site) subject to a Territory Plan variation for a mixed use development with a full line supermarket. Since this report was completed the ACT Government has announced the release of a number of sites for supermarkets, including Blocks 47 and 48 Section 19 in the Kingston Group Centre.
How has the community been involved?
The Kingston Group Centre Urban Planning and Design Framework Report was prepared with extensive community participation and assistance. The following table lists consultation events held for this project.
|Community briefing||27 August 2009||Kingston Baptist Church, 11 Currie Crescent, Kingston|
|Vision workshop||10 September 2009||Kingston Baptist Church, 11 Currie Crescent, Kingston|
|First community information display||22 September 2009||Kingston shops (near the IGA)|
|Planning workshop||22 October 2009||Kingston Baptist Church, 11 Currie Crescent, Kingston|
|Second community information display||31 October 2009||Kingston shops (near the IGA)|
The Kingston Group Centre Urban Planning and Design Framework Report
- Foreword,contents and executive summary (1Mb)
- Introduction (428Kb)
- Vision (1.2Mb)
- Achieving the vision (3.1Mb)
- Actions for change (591Kb)
- Implementation (355Kb)
- Context (1.4Mb)
- Supermarket (192Kb)
- Existing centre characteristics (5.8Mb)
- Challenges and opportunities (622Kb)
- Conclusion and attachments (17.5Mb)
The Kingston precinct parking study - final report June 2013 (4Mb) supplements the Kingston Group Centre Urban Planning and Design Framework Report.
The key actions which need to be undertaken to commence implementation of the Master Plan are:
- prepare precinct code which specifies land use, height and design details which will encourage development and redevelopment and ensure that it achieves the principles outlined in the master plan
- undertake investigation to allow the release of Blocks 47 and 48 Section 19 for a mixed use development including supermarket
- identify and prepare capital works proposals for public realm and infrastructure improvements for consideration of the government in subsequent budgets.
Want more information?
Call Access Canberra on 13 22 81.