Canberra has a proud history of public housing. Much of Canberra’s public housing was built over 40 years ago, to support the role of this city as the growing national capital. Many of these properties were constructed in large complexes of over 100 dwellings.
Public housing in Canberra is now managed by Housing ACT, a government agency. It offers long-term rental accommodation for people on low to moderate incomes. More information about public housing can be found at the Housing and Community Services ACT website.
The public housing renewal program will result in the redevelopment of a number of multi-unit properties. Tenants living in the following properties (in alphabetical order) will be supported to move home:
- Allawah Court (Braddon) – sold, vacated and demolition complete.
- Bega Court (Reid) – sold and vacated.
- Currong Apartments (Braddon) – sold, vacated and demolition complete.
- De Burgh Street – North and South (Lyneham) – tenants are being supported to move home, settlement of the site expected by June 2019
- Gowrie Court (Narrabundah) – tenants are being supported to move home from 2018 onwards.
- Karuah (Dickson) – sold and vacated.
- Northbourne Flats (Braddon) – vacated and released to market, settlement by June 2019.
- Northbourne Flats (Turner) – vacated and released to market, settlement by June 2019.
- Owen Flats (Lyneham) – sold, vacated and demolition complete.
- Dickson Flats (Dickson) – sold, vacated and demolition complete.
- Red Hill Housing Precinct (Red Hill) – vacated, sold and demolition complete and settled.
- Strathgordon Court (Lyons) – tenants are being supported to move home from 2018 onwards.
- Stuart Flats (Griffith) – vacated, site expected to be sold and settled by June 2019.
Tenants of the above properties are being provided with plenty of notice before anything happens. A tenant relocation officer is assigned to each tenant to support them during the relocation process.
For general information on the redevelopment of any of these properties, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.