The policy is written in simple language. The specific legal obligations of EPSDD when collecting, holding, using and disclosing personal information and individual’s rights in relation to their personal information are outlined in the Information Privacy Act 2014 (the Act) and in particular in the Territory Privacy Principles.
‘Information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable: whether the information or opinion is true or not; and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not’.
It does not include personal health information about an individual which is covered by the Health Records (Privacy and Access) Act 1997.
The EPSDD collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information to carry out functions, activities and duties. The Public Sector Management Act 1994, Information Privacy Act 2014, Territory Records Act 2002, Health Records (Privacy and Access) Act 1997 as well as a range of Directorate specific legislation have provisions for the collection and management of personal information.
These functions and activities include, for example:
- administering relevant Territory legislation
- providing advice on land, planning, environment and construction issues
- consulting with stakeholders, for example, on variations to the Territory Plan or Master Planning documents
- maintaining registers about occupational license holders
- responding to access to information requests including through legal compulsion, such as subpoenas
- communicating with the public, stakeholders and the media including through websites and social media
- managing privacy and freedom of information (FOI) requests and FOI reviews
More specific detail in regard to what information we collect, how it is held, what it is used for, and who it is disclosed to, is included in the Information Privacy Annex included with the Policy.
- the kinds of personal information that EPSDD collects and holds
- how EPSDD collects and holds personal information
- the purposes for which EPSDD collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information
- how an individual may access personal information about themselves that is held by EPSDD and seek correction of the information
- how an individual may complain about a breach of the Territory Privacy Principles, any Territory Privacy Principle code that binds EPSDD, and how EPSDD will deal with the complaint
- whether EPSDD is likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients, and if so, the countries in which the recipients are located
The data collected about your use of this website, (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored on third party servers. Third parties may use this data for the purpose of compiling reports on website activity for us and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage.
Third party servers will not collect personal information about you and the reports will only contain aggregate non personal data about your use of this website. These reports may contain data relating to pages viewed, files downloaded or the completion of online subscriptions.
We will use the data collected to improve website functionality and performance, gather statistics and for marketing purposes.
Third Party Providers
EPSDD uses the third party services listed below to manage electronic newsletter subscription services.
- when you access electronic newsletters sent through these services
- your browser type and version
- your operating system and other similar information
- your IP address and its geolocation
- clicks on email links and whether the email is forwarded
These third party services use the information collected from you for the purpose of providing the online service which enables EPSDD to create, send and manage electronic newsletters, and to measure the performance of EPSDD email campaigns.
These services may transfer this information to their contractors or other third parties who process the information on their behalf, or where otherwise required to do so by law.
You may refuse the use of these third party services by choosing not to subscribe to newsletters delivered via these services. If you choose not to subscribe, you will not receive newsletters delivered via these services. Content delivered via these services will be made available on the relevant ACT Government website. By using these services, you consent to the processing of data about you in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
Mailchimp is based in the United States of America (USA) and is subject to the laws of the USA. Your information (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Mailchimp on servers located outside Australia.
You can unsubscribe from any Mailchimp electronic newsletter at any time by selecting the 'unsubscribe’ option in every email sent to you by Mailchimp.
Campaign Monitor is based in the United States of America (USA) and is subject to the laws of the USA. Your information (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Campaign Monitor on servers located outside Australia.
You can unsubscribe from any Campaign Monitor electronic newsletter at any time by selecting the 'unsubscribe’ option in every email sent to you by Campaign Monitor.