Certificate of regularisation

Under building law, some buildings do not, or did not require a certificate of occupancy or equivalent final certification. These include buildings built by or for the Commonwealth.

A certificate of regularisation certifies that the building is fit for occupation for particular uses, for example as a single residence.

Applications for a certificate of regularisation may be made by the government concerned or the tenant before a building is sold, or by a lessee after a lease has been issued for the land.

For a certificate to be issued, you need to employ a licensed principal building surveyor.

How to apply

You can apply online for a certificate of regularisation.

The application must include:

Building surveyor statement

The building surveyor must provide a statement certifying whether the building:

More information

Find out about:

Contact us for more information.