The Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate (EPSDD) have prepared a Draft Integrated Plan for Red Hill Nature Reserve and Surrounds (PDF 3.6MB) (draft Plan). The draft Plan has been developed in response to a resolution of the Legislative Assembly of 25 October 2017, which called on the Government to:
- 'not proceed with separate Territory Plan Variations for residential development for Section 66, Kent Street Deakin, the Federal Golf Course and for sites immediately adjacent to Red Hill Nature Reserve; and
- Only proceed with a joint Territory Plan Variation for sites after completion of an integrated plan for Red Hill Nature Reserve and surrounding residential areas,'
- The resolution outlined further considerations that also needed to be addressed in that plan.
Have your say
In late 2019 we spoke with community members through a series of drop-ins and a survey distributed through the YourSay Community Panel. We also heard from community members who submitted comments via email.
We are in the process of collating what we heard and will provide an update in early 2020.
Draft Plan – diagram, directions and recommendations
The draft plan considers four possible options for the context area and identifies a preferred option which includes the following recommendations (refer to the map for further detail):
- Retaining open space which adjoins and links to the Red Hill Nature Reserve, preserving the ecological values of the area.
- Implementing buffers around the Federal Golf Course and associated development.
- Managing the Red Hill Nature Reserve in line with the Plan of Management for the Canberra Nature Park and the National Capital Plan.
- Identification of proposed upgrading to a number of roads and intersections to cater to the current traffic volume of the roads and prepare for future growth and capacity.
- Retaining residential zones adjoining the Nature Reserve.
- Expanding the Deakin Office Park (rezoning Deakin Section 66) to partly include further urban open space and commercial use.
- Increasing housing choice particularly for the ageing population through the development of a retirement village, to be located in the southern portion of the Federal Golf Course with access via Kitchener Street.